As part of our greening scientific computing and videoconferencing projects, we are producing short (2pp) case studies on best practice in universities, colleges and research organisations (see below for list, and page bottom for downloads). The 2008-09 SusteIT project also produced over 20 case studies of greenIT in universities and colleges - see below for a master list and click here for actual cases.
Note there are separate short ICT briefing papers on key IT issues.
Our new cases are:
1. Green Data Centre Refurbishment at Hertfordshire - first European university to comply with the EU Code of Conduct on Data Centres.
2. Videoconferencing at Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor/Llandrillo - this relatively small FE College, until recently accounted for 25% of all the UK-wide calls handled by the JANET VideoConferencing Service.
3. Videoconferencing at the University of Bedfordshire - which uses videoconferencing to reduce travel and improve communication between the university's five campuses
4. A 1.2 PUE Data Centre at the University of St Andrews - whose key energy efficiency features were financed by Salix.
5. Low Carbon IT and Research at the NREL Campus - whose new 20,436 m2 Research Support Facility (with data centre) targets net zero carbon operation.
6. Videoconferencing Supports Scottish Graduate Physics - the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance (SUPA) supports teaching and research at 8 universities through a VC infrastructure.
7. Videoconferencing Links Welsh Institutions - the V Factor event held in early 2011 involved a blend of face-to-face discussion and virtual interaction at 4 Welsh sites.
8. Videoconferencing at the Aberystwyth University - nearly 600 videoconferences were booked at Aberystwyth’s VC studios on its four main campuses and departmental facilities in 2009-10, supported by the Welsh Video Network.
9. Videoconferencing at Bangor University - which hosted 714 VC calls in 2010, helping to overcome the costs and difficulties of travel, and extend the University’s reach within the UK and internationally.
10. Conferencing and E-Learning at the University of Bradford - Bradford uses Blacboard Collaborate extensively for teaching and virtual meetings with 8,000 sessions in 2010.
11. Videoconferencing at Swansea University - which uses it extensively for teaching & learning and business meetings with nearly 800 videoconferences held in 2010/11. Swansea also manages the Welsh Video Network.
RECSO/SusteIT Case 1: Devolved Energy Budgeting at the University of London Computing Centre, which has control of its energy bill and monitors power consumption.
RECSO/SusteIT Case 2: The University of Manchester’s Carbon Reporting Scheme: Information and Incentives for Energy Efficiency in IT and Other Areas, which describes Manchester's carbon accounting and reporting initiative, known as the Carbon Credit Scheme (CCS).
RECSO/SusteIT Case 3: Financial Incentives for Energy Efficiency at the University of Cambridge which describes the Electricity Incentive Scheme at Cambridge.
SusteIT 2008-09 Case Study Master List
Case 1 - Green Data Centre Refurb at Herts
Case 2 - Videoconferencing at Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor
Case 3 - Videoconferencing at Bedfordshire
Case 4 - 1.2 PUE Data Centre at St Andrews
Case 5 - Low Carbon IT and Research at NREL
Case 6 - Videoconferencing at SUPA
Case 7- Videoconferencing links welsh institutions
Case 8 - Videoconferencing at Aberystwyth
RECSO Case 1 - Uni of London Computing Centre
Case 9 - Videoconferencing at Bangor
Case 10 - Conferencing and E-Learning at the University of Bradford
RECSO Case 2 - Uni of Manchester's Carbon Reporting Scheme
Case 11 - Videoconferencing at Swansea
RECSO Case 3 - Financial Incentives at Cambridge