S-Lab Briefing Papers
As part of the S-Lab project HEEPI are producing a series of short (2pp) briefing papers on key issues for university lab design and management which can be downloaded from the bottom of this page. We will be adding more briefing papers throughout 2011.
Note there is also a series of short lab case studies which feature initiatives from individual universities.
1 Interest-free Funding for Energy Efficient Labs (v2, Aug 2011) - summarises the English Revolving Green Fund (RGF) and similar schemes which provide low cost finance to implement energy efficient technologies, includign a number installed in laboratories.
2. Understanding Laboratory Energy Consumption (v1, July 2011) - summarises the results and recommendations of the S-Lab detailed energy audits of 2 chemistry and 3 life science labs in universities.
3. Laboratory Environmental Assessment (v1, Aug 2011) - summarises a new S-Lab environmental assessment framework to help universities systematically assess the environmental impacts of their labs. The criteria will be incorporated into the NUS Green Impact Scheme in Autumn 2011.
4. Effective and Energy Efficient Cold Storage (v1., Sep 2011) - summarises measures to reduce energy use and costs associated with cold storage devices - fridges, freezers and liquid nitrogen dewars.
5. Reducing Water Consumption in Laboratories (v1, Oct 2011) - summarises actions that can help minimise water use with examples from LabRATS abd Aberdeen, Bradford, Oxford and other universities.
6. Waste Minimisation and Recycling in Laboratories (v1, Oct 2011) - summarises good practices to minimise waste in labs, and examples from Bristol, Newcastle and other universities.
7. Strategic Approaches to Sustainable Labs (v1, Oct 2011) - describes how a strategic approach to sustainability in labs is needed to overcome barriers to change, and examples of such initiatives from California, Manchester and other universities.
S-Lab Briefing 1 - Funding for Energy Efficient Labs
S-Lab Briefing 2 - Understanding Lab Energy Consumption
S-Lab Briefing 3 - Environmental Lab Assessment
S-Lab Briefing 4 - Effective and Energy Efficient Cold Storage
S-Lab Briefing 5 - Reducing Water Consumption
S-Lab Briefing 6 - Waste Minimisation and Recycling
S-Lab Briefing 7 - Strategic Approaches to Sustainable University Labs